Monday 16 May 2022

Memorandum for Dictionary 2021. Auto translated by Google

  

Memorandum  

Memorandum

Memorandum

It's not clear that I started learning English when I was in the third grade of elementary school. It all started when I naturally started reading books from her sister in her house. I especially like pronunciation, and when I was 5 years old, I had free time to read after lunch. I used to take it with me to read it. There was an oral chart for pronunciation on the back of the cover, which was imitated. My homeroom teacher came around and looked at my book, but I remember passing it as it was.

I had never learned from
"Kenkyusha Simple English-English Dictionary" , but I used the successor "Kenkyusha English-English Dictionary" for a while later. This dictionary was published in 1938 in 1938, but it showed deep insight in "Introduction" by Dr. Miki Ichikawa, "Purpose of compilation", "Explanation of contents" and "Text" in the dictionary department of the research company. There is. In a nutshell, he seems to have made as few compromises as possible in order to create a good English dictionary for the Japanese. Introducing "vowel notation" in "Introduction", "explanation in Japanese" in "purpose of compilation", so-called "double solution" explanation, "selection of basic words" method and "meaning" in "explanation of contents" "In principle, we use words within the scope of the basic words, but if there is a risk of distorting the wording of the explanation, do not forcibly stick to this principle and freely use words beyond the scope of the basic words. I could see a part of it. The "phonetic symbol explanation" also incorporates the indications of "nasalization" and "unvoiced". In particular, it is important to clearly indicate "devoiceness", but it seems that the concept itself was not widespread among beginners at that time, but beyond that, the editorial department seems to have prioritized accuracy. Since the version I have is the 36th version of 1953 in 1953, the learners may have appreciated this accuracy even if it was a little difficult.
By the way, I learned later by reading Akutagawa's essay that Dr Sanki Ichikawa was in the same class as Ryunosuke Akutagawa.


I had learned a little about Takamasa Sasaki's "Japanese-English translation training" when I was in high school, but it was difficult for me and I was frustrated on the way. His teacher's old books now belong to rare books, and this "English word fast learning method" is also expensive on Amazon. It may be said that he brought up so many youths. The title of this book says "quick learning method", but Professor Sasaki said at the end of "Foreword", "Even such a small book takes a lot of trouble to be completed, and it takes a lot of trouble to collect materials. In the stages of organizing, manuscript engraving, and proofreading, we have lost the help of more than a dozen people. " It covers up to the connection, that is, Collocation. Especially in the "List of Important Derivatives", the classification of Vevb-Person-Thing and Place-Person is excellent, and I feel the deep insight of the teacher.


I bought the "Iwanami English-Japanese Dictionary New Edition" that Professor Kikuo Tanaka spent his life at the same time as I entered high school, and I really liked it. All of Iwanami's dictionaries at that time had the same cloth coating, and it was easy to get pain while using it. I broke the covers of this dictionary, "Iwanami Japanese Dictionary" and "Iwanami Chinese Dictionary" and used it for a while only in the text. But that doesn't boast at all. When I was a research student at Wako, I talked with Professor Tsuneyuki Kawasaki about dictionaries, and when I asked him, "What kind of dictionary did you use?" I wonder if it's about. " When I saw the teacher, I could understand it naturally. For a teacher who remembered the trends of nobles in the Heian period almost on a monthly basis, for example, when it came to employment, it was not to look up a dictionary, but to read the accused series. It was a high academic world that I could hardly even imagine.

The "Iwanami English-Japanese Dictionary New Edition" was to carefully read the OED and Oxford English Dictionary and make a simplified version in Japan, as Professor Tanaka stated in the "Introduction". The teacher devoted his life to it. As a high school student, it was strange that a modern Japanese translation would not come out soon, but I later learned the size of this work. I don't think there are any books even now. Because you have to spend your life for that. I still find the value of this dictionary valuable when looking at the historical evolution of the meaning of a word.

In addition, "Iwanami New English Dictionary", which is considered to be the successor to this dictionary, was published in 1981 by Fumio Nakajima and Kinshiro Oshita. , It was written that the OED was scrutinized, the deficiencies were confirmed in more than 100 places, and it was sent to the OED editorial department. It is imagined that OED continues to fascinate many researchers around the world. I don't own this large dictionary, but I use its abbreviation SHORTER OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY 1956 every day.


Finally, I would like to touch on the "Jukugo- oriented English-Japanese Chinese Dictionary New Supplement" published by Iwanami Shoten in 1936 by Hidesaburo Saito and Minoru Toyoda There are some memories in this dictionary.

I think I had purchased this dictionary by 1964, when I was in my second year of high school. It seems that he got the information of an excellent dictionary from something. At Tokyo Metropolitan Tachikawa High School, where I was attending, a school trip to Kyoto and Nara was being held in early spring, which was almost the end of two years at that time. I had a lot of free time, and I was very impressed by the fact that I went to see the Institute for Basic Physics at Kyoto University with my friend. I forgot whether my friend was like that now, but I was longing for the Faculty of Science at Kyoto University at that time. After all, I couldn't go on to school there, but I still remember those days.

When I returned from my school trip, I found a booklet on the porch of my house. When I asked her mother, a senior senior in the town who attended the same high school passed the mathematics department of Tokyo University of Education and brought me the materials of Z-kai used for studying for entrance exams. I knew. It's a small town, so I was a senior student with him, but I became friends with him. I think it was around the second year of junior high school. When talking to him at school, he suddenly said, "Light seems to be a particle." I tried my best to answer "Is it true?" The existence of Photon Photon is now close to common sense, but he has taught me such new findings. After graduating from university, he became a mathematics teacher at Tokyo Metropolitan High School, and one day he stopped by at Tokyo Metropolitan Ome Higashi High School where I was working. When he sits down, he says, "I'm a little controversial in the regular exam," so when I ask, "What did you do?" I just put out that, "he said, and he had an expression like that, after all. "That's right," I said, holding back from laughing. He wasn't surprised at all because he was always like that, but it may not be the case normally. I was probably one of the likes close to him.

Maybe it was his favor, but I also joined Z-kai. I think I took 3 subjects in English and English, but I forgot the details. I didn't find much appeal in English and Japanese, so I thought I quit early, but I was still worried about mathematics, and I tried to solve the problem, but I could hardly solve it. Along with the next question, a booklet containing the previous comments and excellent scorers will be sent, but there are some people who are close to the perfect score. Along with the commentary, there was a discourse of such an excellent person, and recently there was also a great story such as making a problem by myself and sending it to Z-kai. I think this is no good, and I think I quit in less than half a year.

There was only one good piece of information in this booklet. That was how to use this "Jukugo-oriented English-Japanese Chinese Dictionary New Supplement". According to the booklet, "If you draw a red line where you read this dictionary and it becomes one-third of the dictionary, your ability is no longer certain." It was simple, I thought this was good, and I did it immediately. I wouldn't have gone up to one-third, but did I go to the tenth place? However, I didn't really feel it at all, so I think it ended around that point. However, as I read the dictionary, I gradually realized the peculiarity of this dictionary. This is because the so-called collocation, which is what we now call, describes in detail the word-to-word collocation. At the beginning of "PREFACE TO THE ORIGINAL EDITION" by the author, Professor Saito stated as follows.

"Word are nothing in themselves, and everything in combination."
"A verb without its construction is no verb"

This belief of the teacher is the fundamental foundation of today's English or the whole language, which he did in "June, the 4th year of Taisho", 1915, when Preface was written. It's an amazing eye.

The Z-kai will continue for me. I think it was in the 1990s. My wife was working, but if I borrowed the words of Professor Shinobu Ono of Wako when I was young, I was doing everything I could do with "diversified management", so one day I was instructed by Z-kai in the newspaper. After seeing the advertisement for recruiting people, I applied immediately because of my nostalgia. Interviews and preparatory school-like mock lessons were held in Tokyo, and there may have been composition. By then, I had two short-term teaching experiences at a prep school. A few days later the result was a phone call and I was informed that I had passed the Z-kai question creator. After listening to it, I naturally refused, "No, that's fine." Maybe it was Sunday, my wife was listening by my side, and I was disappointed, "Why don't you take it?" I wonder if that kind of experience was interesting now, but maybe that math challenge on a distant day came away in an instant. I wonder what would happen if I made such a difficult problem, not only to hurt the examinees, but maybe that kind of thought was mixed.

Solving difficult problems is certainly interesting. The ancient Chinese language, which has no punctuation marks that you can't understand even if you look at it all day, was like a kind of puzzle. However, I wouldn't dare to use such time for young people who have precious time. Only those who want it should do it. Is it because I thought that creating a problem for that was not suitable for me? In this way, the connection with Z-kai, which had been long, was over. Later, I occasionally heard that some people who were good at math in high school moved away from modern math after college. Mathematics is wide. I'm weak, but I still like math the most. why. It gives a clear way to the unknown.

I would like to add one nostalgic event to me.

Language changes. Then there must be before and after the change. What is that changing?
Without substance, there is no change. Then there must be a language entity.
If there is an entity, there must be a boundary with a place without an entity.
I want to clarify the boundaries and boundaries.

I started to think so.

I had nothing to do with philosophical statements in words.
I wanted to write clearly. For that purpose, there was only mathematics with a history of 5,000 years.
This is how I wrote the Boundary of Words 2009 .
It was because mathematics was thought to go beyond natural language, even in part.

BOUNDARY OF WORDS

No comments:

Post a Comment